Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving

I have just spent Thanksgiving at home with my family. I think Thanksgiving is my favorite American holiday. First, it is such a great concept: a day just for giving thanks. Every country should have one. Second, it's all about food and not about shopping. All the shops close and there is no wild potlatch of gift giving. Though that later aspect is spoiled by the recent rise of "Black Friday" and its spread into the late hours of Thanksgiving.

This year I got to bring back from Florida:
  1. Fresh pecans to bake into a superb pecan pie using John Thorne's recipe in Richard Sax's "Classic Home Desserts." They really do make a difference.
  2. Key limes for a chiffon key lime pie. A perfect feather light ending to the meal.
  3. Kumquats that I boiled in a syrup and tossed into roasted sweet potatoes.

In return I am coming back from Pennsylvania with half a bushel of magnificent empire apples from Soergel's to share with our student employees.


I have a lot to be thankful for this year. My family seems to be coping fine without me, my move to the Olin Library has proved to be very professionally rewarding, and I am enjoying becoming part of the Rollins community.


Next year I hope I can be thankful for the Miller-Hicok clan being together again and happily esconsced in sunny Orlando.

No comments: