Saturday, January 12, 2008

EBSCO at ALA Midwinter 2008

I am going to try and blog this conference

I went to the EBSCO lunch and must say I was quite impressed with the "version 2.0" they are rolling out this year. The last major update was in 2002 and a lot has happened on the web since then. Their changes include a really simple "google-like" basic search screen. Lots of added functionality on the results page with faceted searching, float over windows (think Netflix for articles), visual searching (which I don't think they have quite got yet -- not that anyone has), Smartsearching (I think that is what they call it) which blows natural language searching out of the water by enabling a user to put as many words (they could paste a whole article in there) in the search box and get relevant results, better integration of their image collections. It is a major change and it will be interesting to see if CSA/Proquest will respond.

No comments: